[Web4lib] Keeping library web pages in-house

Lara Little llittle at pfeiffer.edu
Fri Oct 27 13:00:37 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Currently our library maintains our website on our own server in our
building. All of the design, maintenance, etc. is done by library
staff. The university is currently re-designing their website (they
have contracted it out and it is being done with a content management
system). I have flat-out refused to give up control of our site, and
the library staff is in full agreement! So far it seems that the
powers that be have no problem with us maintaining our own site on
our own server, but they want us to "match". So far I have suggested
the compromise of adding some aspects of the overall design and
colors to our design (although I hate the colors), but based on a
conversation today I have a feeling I may to have to fight to keep it
at that. I am also afraid that they will try to impose their CMS on
our server or otherwise try to take us over. I should mention that
our library website includes our digitized archives, which are being
added to every day! My questions for other folks who have dealt with
this is basically: What arguments have you used to keep control of
your site's design and content? Thanks for any suggestions!

Lara

--
Lara B. Little
Reference/Periodicals Librarian & Library Coordinator