[Web4lib] "Media" Lab: Miami University Updated Info

witherre at muohio.edu witherre at muohio.edu
Tue Oct 24 22:44:30 EDT 2006

John,

Thanks for your posting about Miami University's Center for Information
Management (CIM).

The first link may not work in web mail; at any rate, the best URL for
information about CIM may be: http://www.lib.muohio.edu/computing/cim.php

Using the NMC model Andrew Darby mentioned, CIM is most consistent with a
self-service model, with staff and student employees trained to help
people exploring software for creating and editing image, audio, and video
files-- as well as printing posters, sending faxes, and other new-ish ways
of disseminating information.  Since its inception, this facility has had
to expand its hours and number of computers due to public demand, and its
presence has helped to entice an endowed writing center in the library
that houses it.

Questions about this facility can best be directed to Lisa Santucci, Head
of the Center for Information Management and Interim Head of Outreach, at
santucle at lib.muohio.edu .

Robert E. Withers
Assistent to the Dean and University Librarian
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, OH 45056

On October 24, John Fink wrote:

Marc,

Here's a page about our media lab --
http://www.lib.muohio.edu/computing/cim-guidelines.php.  It sounds right
about in line with what you're trying to do.  As for personnel, there are
three staff people (one librarian, two classified staff) who are involved
with lab operations and management, although two of them have significant
duties outside of the lab.

If you're interested in the student staff numbers, let me know and I'll try
to find them out.  I myself am not involved in the day-to-day operations of
the lab, but from what I can see it's a very significant resource for our
students -- particularly our large format poster printers which can get a
phenomenal amount of patron activity.

jf