[Web4lib] "Media" Lab

Marc W. Davis marc.davis at DRAKE.EDU
Tue Oct 24 11:22:06 EDT 2006

   There is some [vague at best] discussion going on here about adding
a "media" lab into our InfoCommons mix.  This is a very unformed
notion as yet unsupported by any real needs assessment or user
survey.  What I'm hearing ranges from CD/DVD burning to video
production, with stops along the way for podcasting, flash, html,
scanning, conferencing, and who knows what else.  Up until now, the
InfoCommons has been framed as a fairly standard library computer lab
-- databases, office apps, miscellaneous course-specific plugins.

   I'd like to find out what sort of software, infrastructure,
personnel and capabilities more advanced installations provide to
users (both students and faculty) and suggestions as to "model" sites
or good resources to begin with in examining how we can expand our
services.

   Thanks for your time and attention.

Marc W. Davis
Systems Administration Associate