[Web4lib] Optimizing services for the low-bandwidth communities

David Dorman dorman at indexdata.com
Tue Oct 24 10:16:48 EDT 2006

At 05:58 AM 10/24/2006, K.G. Schneider wrote:
>On the heels of giving a talk in South Africa (and having a week of serious
>bandwidth withdrawal) I'm writing a Techsource post about optimizing
>web-based services for low-bandwidth communities. I'd appreciate any war
>stories, tips, and lessons-learned that you folks would like to share.

Karen,

Here are some guidelines for managing Internet Bandwidth I wrote two
years ago for university libraries in East and West Africa, and
recently revised based on feedback from Chris Wilson, the Chief
Engineer of Aidworld.  INASP, in conjunction with ICTP, has published
a book on bandwidth management that is available online at
http://www.bwmo.net/.

David

INTERNET BANDWIDTH MANAGEMENT GUIDELINES FOR UNIVERSITIES IN EAST AND
WEST AFRICA

A report written in December 2003, entitled "VSAT Case
Studies:  Nigeria and
Algeria"
(http://www.researchictafrica.net/images/upload/vsatngdz.pdf),
indicated that Nigerian ISPs paid between $3.40 and $4.70 per Kbps of
bandwidth per month for VSAT connections.   Some Nigerian
universities are currently pay much higher prices.  This report
stated that in Lagos, almost 20% of cyber cafe users were
scholars.  This figure is an indication of the current failure of
Nigerian universities to provide adequate Internet access to its
faculty. Through negotiations with Satellite ISPs, the Partnership
for Higher Education in Africa
(http://www.foundation-partnership.org/linchpin/index.php) has been
able to reduce those rates through consortial purchase of bandwidth,
to slightly less than $3.00 per Kbps.  This is, however, still
hundreds of times more expensive than the cost of bandwidth for
Universities in North America.  Because Internet connectivity is so
costly in most of sub-Saharan Africa, and is likely to remain so for
some time, careful and continuous bandwidth management is essential
for effective access to Internet-based resources.

It is this writer's estimation, based on the expected utilization
level of Internet-connected workstations on University campuses
(minimum 50%) and the file size of many typical Internet-based
library resources (in excess of 2MB), that a 4 Mbps to 6 Mbps
downlink capacity is the minimum realistic baseline for Internet
connectivity for large universities.

Even with a 4 to 6 Mbps bandwidth capacity, faculty and students will
not have effective access to educational resources on the Internet
unless the university's bandwidth is managed effectively.  As Chris
Wilson, the Chief Engineer of Aidworld (www.aidworld.org) has noted:
"upgrading the bandwidth will not provide any improvement in real
performance unless the network is already well managed, and viruses
and music downloads are eliminated."

The following suggestions are meant to be an overview of the
technical and organizational components that an effective bandwidth
management program might contain.  They are not meant as a detailed blueprint.

         EMAIL BANDWIDTH MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES

1.Only allow the use of Web email services that are bandwidth
efficient, such as Fastmail (http://www.fastMail.fm) and  Gmail
(http://mail.google.com/mail/help/about.html).  One of the criteria
in evaluating which such services to allow should be the service's
ability to effectively filter spam.  In addition to providing the
university community with stable and reliable university-based email
accounts, the university should also consider offering "an internal
webmail server that uses IMAP to communicate with these services
(e.g. Fastmail or Gmail), so that students have a permanent address
that is accessible from outside the university and does not cease to
function when they leave the university." (Chris Wilson).

2.Implement a spam filter to support efficient email use (e.g.
SpamAssassin (http://spamassassin.apache.org/)).  Although spam
filtering by the university's email server will not increase
effective bandwidth, it will enhance the experience of those using
the university's email service.

3.Try to find some way to get spam filtering services provided
outside of the campus network, so that email can  be filtered for
spam before it gets downloaded from the Internet.  This will save
considerable bandwidth usage.  Possible strategies are to arrange for
the University's ISP provider to filter spam, or making an
arrangement from a European or North American university that
would  be willing to intercept all incoming email and filter it
before passing it on to the University's mail server.

4.Establish a policy of holding all outgoing email messages that
exceed a certain size (e.g. 10KB), sending them out late at night
when bandwidth usage is low.  This will encourage responsible email
behavior without adversely affecting most communication.

         WEB BANDWIDTH MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES

5.Obtain and use Internet Filtering Software to limit unrestricted
Internet surfing during times of peak use (e.g. DansGuardian
(http://dansguardian.org/?page=introduction), SquidGuard
(http://www.squidguard.org/intro))

6.Cache frequently accessed sites using a web proxy cache.  This is
middleware that acts as an intermediary between clients and remote
web servers, caching frequently requested pages to avoid contacting
the server repeatedly for the same page.  One example is Squid Web
Proxy Cache (see http://www.squid-cache.org/).

7.Limit the amount of bandwidth an individual user has available for
downloading, either by establishing a fixed individual limit or by
dynamically sharing the available bandwidth "fairly" among active
users.  The word "fairly" is used, rather than "equally," because
sharing bandwidth equally among users can have an adverse effect on
obtaining library resources.  Files are measured in bytes, whereas
bandwidth is measured in bits.  This means that it takes eight
seconds to download a 64 KB file fully utilizing a 64 Kbps
connection.  Excessively slowing download speeds of library resources
will frustrate researches and effectively curtain effective access to
those resources.  It is not uncommon for a JSTOR* .pdf-formatted
document to be 2MB in size.  If downloading such a document were
limited to a rate of 9.6Kbps, for example, it would take over 25 minutes.
(*A service providing African universities free access to high
quality academic journal articles.)

8.Make arrangement with universities in Europe or North American to
host mirror sites of the library's web site and locally stored
resources that the library makes available over the Internet.  This
will prevent access from remote users from using the library's scarce
bandwidth resources.

         MISCELLANEOUS SERVER-SIDE SUGGESTIONS

9.Use a traffic shaper to prioritize Internet use by application and
by individual computer or group of computers.  Packeteer
(www.packeteer.com) is an example of a company that offers hardware
and software for traffic shaping.  Instruction for building one's own
traffic shaper can be found in the BMO book (http://www.bwmo.net/)

10.Monitor Internet traffic to identify network bottlenecks, overload
situations and chronically heavy bandwidth users.  The Multi Router
Traffic Grapher (MRTG), distributed under an Open Source license, is
one such traffic monitoring tool
(http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/).

11.Locate DNS servers on the campus intranet to avoid Internet
bandwidth being taken up by DNS lookups.

12.Supplementing Bandwidth with "Storewidth."  This means storing all
library content leased or otherwise obtained from publishers, full
text aggregaters and other content distributors on the universities
servers whenever possible.

13.Carefully tune the TCP/IP stack on the proxy server.  This can
make Internet connections over satellite (such as VSAT) significantly faster.

         PC ADMINISTRATION AFFECTING INTERNET BANDWIDTH PERFORMANCE

14.Keep all network-connected PCs installed with up-to-date antivirus
and anti-spyware software.

15. See that all network-connected PCs are using a proxy cache for Windows.

16.Lock down all network-connected computers to prevent the
installation of such unwanted software as file sharing (peer-to-peer)
applications.

17.Configure all network-connected computers so that when hard disks
are corrupted by such things as power outages or the installation of
bad software, they can be easily restored to a working state.  The
use of Ghost images (e.g. Norton's Ghost utility) is one way to
accomplish this.  Another way is to use a network-based client
configuration manager to maintain and restore individual PC configurations.

         TRAINING FOR NETWORK ADMINISTRATORS

No strategy for bandwidth management will succeed without
well-trained network administrators who are able to diagnose and fix
network and bandwidth problems.  High quality and continuous training
of network managers is the single most important ingredient in
effective Internet bandwidth management.

>K.G. Schneider
>kgs at bluehighways.com
>AIM/skype freerangelib

David Dorman