[Web4lib] Where to invest in music collection.

Karl Suhr ksuhr at semo.edu
Fri Oct 20 16:57:50 EDT 2006

I think another consideration is that ripping vinyl needs some TLC --
depending on how the software used 'sees' the track gaps if you want to
split tracks.  In which case a piece with moments of silence might be split
into multiple tracks erroneously or separate tracks lump together

Coincidentally, I got a Cnet email today w/a tutorial on doing this. Link if
you're interested:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-10149-0.html?forumID=7&threadID=213413&messageI
D=2282026&tag=nl.e406

  some other considerations

   -- hisses, pops, crackles -- can be cleaned up but take time
   -- differences in dynamic range
   -- effort required in providing metadata
   -- what becomes of the album cover information? Is it important enough to
try to keep?

On a personal note, I ripped all my CD's at home - it's relatively quick, no
intervention required, and when done the CD becomes the backup!  I believe
itunes for example now grabs the album cover at least for you.

Karl Suhr