[Web4lib] Citizendium: citizens' compendium of everything

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Wed Oct 18 15:44:44 EDT 2006

For all of you critics of Wikipedia, here is a chance to put your money
where your mouth is.  The founder of Wikipedia is starting a new effort
(Citizendium.Org <http://www.citizendium.org/> ) to ceate a new wiki
similar to wikipedia but in a form where people are accountable for what
they write.   I just sent in my request to get an invitation to work on
the new project.  Click on Citizendium: Call for participation
<http://www.citizendium.org/cfa.html>  to find out how to do that.

	 " The Citizendium (sit-ih-ZEN-dee-um
<http://www.citizendium.org/cit.mp3> ), a "citizens' compendium of
everything," will be an experimental new wiki project that combines
public participation with gentle expert guidance.  It will begin life as
a "progressive fork <http://www.citizendium.org/#progressive_fork> " of
Wikipedia.  But we expect it to take on a life of its own and, perhaps,
to become the flagship of a new set of responsibly-managed free
knowledge projects.  We will avoid calling it an "encyclopedia," because
there will probably always be articles in the resource that have not
been vouched for in any sense.

	We believe a fork is necessary, and justified, both to allow
regular people a place to work under the direction of experts, and in
which personal accountability--including the use of real names--is
expected.  In short, we want to create a responsible community and a
good global citizen. "

Categories:

*	Wikipedia <http://del.icio.us/babyboomerlibrarian/Wikipedia>
*	citizendium <http://del.icio.us/babyboomerlibrarian/citizendium>

*	wiki <http://del.icio.us/babyboomerlibrarian/wiki>

Technorati Tags:citizendium <http://technorati.com/tag/citizendium>
wiki <http://technorati.com/tag/wiki>  wikipedia
<http://technorati.com/tag/wikipedia>

Wilfred (Bill) Drew
Associate Librarian, Systems and Reference
Morrisville State College Library
E-mail: mailto:drewwe at morrisville.edu
AOL Instant Messenger:BillDrew4
BillDrew.Net: http://billdrew.net/
Wireless Librarian: http://people.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/wireless/
Library: http://library.morrisville.edu/
SUNYConnect: http://www.sunyconnect.suny.edu/
My Blog:http://babyboomerlibrarian.blogspot.com

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin, 1759