[Web4lib] Another CMS question

Knight-Davis, Stacey L. slknight at eiu.edu
Mon Oct 16 22:38:28 EDT 2006

I followed the CMS thread with great interest and read more about the
products that were recommended.  However, I'm still not sure which
option is best for my situation.

I'm getting ready to spend a lot of time converting about 200 pages in
our library's website from a table and image map layout to CSS.  When I
am done, 8 other librarians and staff  will be able to edit these pages
and I don't want the pages inadvertently covered in <font> tags or
trashed by Word when someone else updates a page.  Everyone editing
knows basic HTML, but there are only 2 people with CSS experience.  I
don't want to control the content so much as make sure no one is messing
up the code.  This is the only site I manage, and another librarian is
the admin for the library web server.

Because of the number of pages involved, and the number of people
editing the site,  I am thinking about a CMS.  However, I after reading
through the documentation for several products, I don't know it there is
anything free/cheap that will work.  We are running IIS on Windows 2000
Server and have a large number of ASP pages.  All of our electronic
resources listings, resource guides, and web resources pages run off of
Access databases on ASP pages.  The home page is also ASP.  We have a
few FileMaker Pro databases running various local indexes and services.
Everyone is very happy with the ASP pages and we don't want to change
them, and no one wants to switch the FileMaker stuff to another system
either.

So, I think I'm asking:

1.  Is there a cheap CMS that will let us keep Access and ASP and run on
Windows 2000?  It looked like Plone would run on Windows, but I couldn't
determine what would have to be done with the ASP pages.

2.  If there is no cheap CMS solution, what are the recommendations for
web editors that are easy to learn and will make working with a style
sheet easy?  We have several copies of Dreamweaver available, but I
haven't had much luck getting people to use it.  TinyMCE was
interesting, but I don't really need a web-based application if all I'm
getting is an editor.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stacey Knight-Davis
Booth Library
Eastern Illinois University
http://www.library.eiu.edu