[Web4lib] test ideas for web job candidates

Stevens, Julieanne H. jhsteven at law.stetson.edu
Fri Oct 13 11:15:22 EDT 2006

I think that you'd first want to define the scope of what  the position
responsibilities over the long run would be, not just your immediate
needs.

Web people come in variant skill levels and expertise. (For example, I
can animate but  you'd have to beat me to death to get Perl  out of me
unless it involved knitting).   Do you need someone who can regularly
write small programs to interface components  and  schedules (like
combining the bookmobile schedule with, say, children's story hours  for
a more complete library schedule of events ?)

Or,  will the long term position basically involve building an
increasingly interactive Web2.0 type web page with lots of bells and
whistles and  interactive content and graphics and  wondrous things ?

In that case, you can pay someone  and outsource a couple of small
programs. Then, you'd be more interested in someone with some graphic
arts, perhaps digital photography and strong  page building skills and
familiarity with Photoshop and/or other graphics programs.

Frankly, I think I'd have them build  a new page of some kind for the
library.  Or have them build or propose a new interface with your online
catalog. Or maybe  build a children's web page... Perhaps include a
request to design a new logo.  The idea would be something where the
applicant can  show off their actual skills  and you can visibly compare
the results.

Jules

Julieanne Hartman Stevens, MLS, JD
Electronic Services and Reference Librarian
Stetson University College of Law
1401 61st Street South
Gulfport, Florida 33707-3299
Direct Line 727-562-7304
Internal Extension 7204
JHSteven at law.stetson.edu

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading
them. " Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky