[Web4lib] Conversion between ISBN-10 and ISBN-13

Ted Koppel tedk at exlibris-usa.com
Mon Oct 2 08:39:38 EDT 2006

Patricia Anderson, pfa at umich.edu  wrote:
>  To go from 13 to 10 is easy -- the isbn-10 is the last 10 digits of
the isbn-13. Going the other direction, I haven't >>>figured out yet
(not that I've tried hard).

Actually, that's not so.  You need to recalculate the check digit.  So
take the last 10 digits, drop the tenth, and recalculate the new check
digit to replace it.  The check digit algorithm is in the (old) ISBN
standards document and various places online.

Ted