[Web4lib] Viral Marketing Through Snowmen

Thingvall, Nils Thingvall.Nils at ocls.info
Thu Nov 30 08:31:04 EST 2006

Hello all,

I thought I'd share a project we just rolled out here at the Orange
County Library System in Orlando, FL. We have to suffer through winters
with temperatures in the 70s, so we don't get to make snowmen. So to
help promote some of our winter holiday resources and programming and
allow Floridians to build snowmen, we've rolled out a virtual gallery
that contains a Create-A-Snowman Flash piece. It's located here:
http://www.ocls.info/virtual/galleries/holidays/winterholidays.asp

In this little Flash construct, people can build and save their very own
snowmen, which will be displayed in a gallery that others can view.
They'll also see a list of snowmen related resources. When the snowman
is ready to be viewed, creators will receive an email with a link to
their snowman that they can share with friends. The email also has the
code for an image link that people can put on their blog or MySpace to
show visitors their snowman. Hopefully, those people will then create
their own snowmen and continue to bring people to the library's site.

Anyway, I thought I'd share our attempt at some viral marketing and see
what ya'll thought.

Nils Thingvall
Digital Access Architect

www.ocls.info <http://www.ocls.info/>

****Florida has a very broad Public Records Law.  Virtually all written communications to or from State and Local officials are public records available to the public and media upon request.  The Orange County Library System policy does not differentiate between personal and business emails.  E-mail sent via any Library-owned system will be considered public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant to State Law.****