[Web4lib] From the Chronicle: Software to Skirt Web Censorship

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Mon Nov 27 13:31:54 EST 2006

 This looks very interesting to me and is a service anti-censorship
librarians could help provide to people where access to certain websites
is blocked.  I wonder if this could be used to bypass local censorship
software (commonly called 'filters' by those looking to police
everything people do). -- Bill Drew

The Chronicle: Wired Campus Blog <http://chronicle.com/wiredcampus/>
Education-technology news from around the Web

Software to Skirt Web Censorship

People in China, Cuba, Iran, and other countries where the government
censors what they see on the Internet could soon have access to a lot
more information. Citizen Lab, at the University of Toronto's Munk
Centre for International Studies, has announced that it will release
software <http://psiphon.civisec.org/>  on December 1 that allows people
in those countries to see blocked Web sites. The software, called
psiphon, allows someone in a country that doesn't censor the Internet to
send someone in a Web-censored country a URL that enables the recipient
to visit any Web site. --Andrea L. Foster