[Web4lib] Authors name standardization. Your opinion?

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Mon Nov 13 16:48:45 EST 2006

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Meanwhile, the national libraries of Germany and the Czech
> Republic already use ID numbers for authority files in their
> national union library catalogs.
In the U.S. we do have the authority records from Library of Congress,
and each of those has an identifier. We haven't made use of it, at least
not in a visible way, in our catalogs. In essence, the authoritative
name is supposed to be an identifier, it just happens to be a textual
one. Each authoritative entry in the file is unique.

kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net
ph.: 510-540-7596
fx.: 510-848-3913
mo.: 510-435-8234