[Web4lib] Changing address of RSS news feed

Ken Varnum Ken.Varnum at tufts.edu
Mon Nov 13 10:13:55 EST 2006

I've gone through this on my blog, RSS4Lib, which I moved to its own
eponymous URL from a shared server...

I took several steps.  First I announced it on the old blog, several
times.  I changed all the links in the old blog templates to the new
blog's RSS feeds -- so the links to "syndicate" on the web site as
well as the <link rel = "alternate" ... > in the page headers pointed
to the new RSS feed.

Bloglines, where the majority of my aggregator subscribers are, has a
nice feature that lets you claim a blog as your own (by putting text
they provide in both the blog and the feed).  Once you've claimed two
blogs as your own, you can call the out-of-date one a duplicate of
the current one, and Bloglines will move all the subscribers from the
old feed to the new one.  I don't know if other web-based aggregators
have a similar publisher tool, but it was fairly painless.

Ken

Ken Varnum
  Associate Librarian & IT Manager
  Edwin Ginn Library, The Fletcher School, Tufts University
  160 Packard Avenue, Medford, MA 02155
  Tel: 617 627 3826        Fax: 617 627 3736
  http://www.library.tufts.edu/ginn/