[Web4lib] CSE experiments

Kathryn Greenhill K.Greenhill at murdoch.edu.au
Sun Nov 5 19:10:10 EST 2006

I think librarians are learning a new skill - electronic bundling- combining collection development and resource selection skills with new web tools.CSE has a definite place in there. Not only useful for providing subject specific searches on a static web page, we could create them in response to an individual reference desk enquiry, and point the user to the CSE's home page.

I've played with how we could bundle resources for philosphy academics to illustrate what I mean. I included i) a CSE of relevant resources, 2) a downloadable button to automatically add that search as a search provider for IE7; and iii) a suggestion for an OPML file to "bundle" a set of starter RSS feeds. It's here, librarian bundles for philosophy <http://librariansmatter.blogspot.com/2006/11/librarian-bundles-for-philosophy.html>  .

Cheers,
Kathryn Greenhill
Murdoch University Library
Librarians matter <http://librariansmatter.blogspot.com>