[Web4lib] Could library automation systems track evacuees?

Rick Mason rcmason at rsproductions.net
Tue May 30 17:18:19 EDT 2006

John,

Interesting idea, although I suspect the best place to turn would be the Open Source ILS software packages, such as Koha, phpMyLibrary, and the currently-being-developed Evergreen.

I suspect that one or more of these packages could be modified so that fields and relationships could be renamed and adapted as needed.  This wouldn't be a small project with any ILS, but I could see a project saving a lot of time and effort by adapting an existing program compared to creating an evacuation database from scratch.

Turning to the open source model would also help to ease fears of at least some (though not all) of the privacy issues involved, as the code could be reviewed, and the software tested, by anyone with concerns.

In addition, an "offline" mode could be set up to allow information entry without a live network/internet connection, then upload the information when the connection is restored.  Depending on what has been set up in the ILS for offline activities, this could also be an adaptation of existing code.

Thanks for sharing an interesting idea!

Rick Mason