[Web4lib] Could library automation systems track evacuees?

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Tue May 30 17:05:30 EDT 2006

At 04:18 PM 5/30/2006, JOHN MARQUETTE wrote:
>The May 25, 2006 "Morning Edition" program on NPR said that a recent
>disaster drill in New Orleans was canceled because nobody could figure
>out who was in charge.  While libraries and librarians are not the
>people to take over an orderly evacuation, I can't think of a group more
>capable.  We have a powerful tool at hand to manage the movement of
>evacuees - our automation systems.

Although I have worked in a library for the past 10 years perhaps
it's the previous 20 years working with technologies in the corporate
world that leads me to wonder why someone would assume that libraries
are more capable in producing automations systems than a corporations
whose sole purpose is to produce automation technology.

>Libraries might be able to participate in identifying and tracking
>evacuees by managing them as we do with our circulating items in a
>multi-branch system.  An evacuee would arrive in the SuperDome
>(Technical Services/Central Library), provide personal information
>(patron module is included in the circulation system), be issued a
>barcode as a bracelet or a necklace, and dispatched to a remote branch
>via some form of public transit, mirroring our inter-branch book
>movements.  (Joe checks in, is dispatched to Houston Central, and is
>checked back in at Houston Central when his bus, train, or car arrives.)

Bar codes?   If you want to track the location of individuals that
bracelet or necklaces should be GPS enabled.

>We professionals understand logistics on this magnitude, the technology
>is proven, and it's available immediately.

An understanding of Inventory tracking logistics is hardly exclusive
to library "professionals".  In fact, most commercial technology in
use in libraries is more likely create by computer science professionals.

While the idea is good in spirit I've seen too many email messages
from students complaining about checking in books and then received
late notices.   Evacuee management might be a bit to much for
circulation automation systems but I did hear a suggestion that
perhaps libraries should take over management of immigration.

John Fereira
jaf30 at cornell.edu
Ithaca, NY