[Web4lib] Netlibrary audiobooks (was RE: Overdrive)

Alan Stewart stewarta at memphislibrary.org
Thu May 25 18:26:37 EDT 2006

I'm de-lurking to weigh in (late, I know) on this thread.  In the
interest of full disclosure, I will note that I am a happy user of Macs
(and only Macs) in my home; I am also happy to be coordinating my
library's implementation of OverDrive's digital audiobook service.  My
opinions are my own, and not my institution's.

I think it's a little unfair to lay all the blame for the compatibility
issues at Apple's feet.  They are probably as greedy as any other
company, but Microsoft doesn't exactly play well with others either --
they are no longer producing Windows Media Player for the Mac, and the
last version they produced only handles DRM at the level of Windows
Media Rights Manager version 1.3 (something that NetLibrary's FAQ,
quoted by John Marquette, makes clearer than OverDrive's corresponding
documentation does).  OverDrive requires download of its OverDrive Media
Console to use its service, and there's no Mac version for that --
probably because they know that the WMA DRM won't work on a Mac anyway.
So as a Mac user, I can't use the service at all, for reasons that don't
really have anything to do with the iPod, iTunes, or Fairplay (at least
not directly).

Just looking for a little balance, here.

Alan Stewart
Electronic Services Coordinator
Memphis Public Library & Information Center
3030 Poplar Ave.
Memphis, TN 38111
phone: (901) 415-2856
fax: (901) 323-7108