[Web4lib] Amazon OnlineReader

Abramson, Alicia aabramson at ci.berkeley.ca.us
Thu May 25 14:18:57 EDT 2006

Amazon has released the Amazon OnlineReader, which is available for
books that have the "Search Inside" feature enabled.  Apparently, for a
fee of $5 you can use this to read, highlight and bookmark pages from
any book you purchase through Amazon which have "Search Inside"
capability.

It looks interesting, though not perfect-the book I looked at cuts off
the serif of the fonts, making some words difficult to make out-but they
will probably be able to improve that.  I really like the idea of book
marking and highlighting online and would love to see this approach
utilized in our Safari Books subscription as I find the interface to
that to be clunky and not that useful for the end user.

Discovered this through LifeHacker:
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/amazon/amazon-introduces-new-online-r
eader-176312.php

Alicia Abramson