[Web4lib] Gracefully degrades to..?

Jonathan Gorman jtgorman at uiuc.edu
Wed May 24 13:19:43 EDT 2006

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Jennifer Heise wrote:

> Can you recommend a good book on using CSS for positioning that DOES degrade
> gracefully? I've really avoided using CSS-based layout myself because I've
> seen it degrade horribly so many times, and I don't want to take a chance on
> my users seeing all the text piled on top of each other.

It's hard to recommend a book.  I haven't read too many on CSS.  (Well,
next to none).  However, there are many good online resources for this
type of design.  A List Apart (ALA) http://alistapart.com/ frequently has
articles on css layouts.  It's where many current layout techniques were
developed for CSS.

CSS Zen garden (http://www.csszengarden.com/) shows the same sites with
many different designs.  The site itself degrades pretty nicely as well.
They have book out but I've only skimmed it.  Didn't seem to have much
about the nitty-gritty but more general design ideas.

Those are the ones I can think of off hand.  Surf around various websites
on occasion and disable the CSS and see what happens.

Jon Gorman