[Web4lib] Gracefully degrades to..?

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Wed May 24 13:01:28 EDT 2006

CSS layout mafia? I find it hard to picture Thomas Dowling taking a
baseball bat to anyone's kneecaps over their lack of CSS use. But
then, I've been wrong before.

I find it surprising to look at the calendar and note that we are
well into 2006 and we have people advocating the use of tables for
formatting non-tabular information. The use of tables for layout was
a kludge to get around the lack of a real layout mechanism. CSS is
that mechanism. To advocate a kludge when a better, more standards-
compliant, and very effective solution is available is, well, backward.

I'm not saying that everyone should run out and change all their
pages that currently use tables for layout -- lord knows I no doubt
have many such legacy pages myself. But I really don't think anyone
can justify creating new content using tables for layout given the
wide implementation of browsers with decent CSS support.

Having said that, I must caution that you can do more damage with bad
CSS than you can with bad HTML, so how it is implemented is key. But
done well, your web pages will never look cleaner, easier to
understand and edit, and be compliant with the latest standards.
What's not to like about that?
Roy