[Web4lib] Netlibrary audiobooks (was RE: Overdrive)

Houghton, Sarah houghton at plsinfo.org
Tue May 23 18:14:43 EDT 2006

I've spoken with people at both Apple, Overdrive, and NetLibrary about
this issue.  I can confirm that both vendors report attempting many
times to work with Apple to produce something that will work on their
computers and devices, but as Karen said--Apple's Digital Rights
Management doesn't play nicely with the others.

Who knows whether Apple's reasons for this lie in greed (trying to get
their consumers to buy audio books only through iTunes) or in corporate
integrity (why can't everyone else change to fit Apple).  The bottom
line is that Apple's inflexibility is causing an access crisis in
libraries for our digital content.  And until the kids learn to play
well together, that won't change.

Sarah Houghton, Information & Web Services Manager
San Mateo County Library: http://smcl.org
Librarian in Black: http://www.librarianinblack.net