[Web4lib] RE: Overdrive

Jesse Ephraim JEphraim at ci.southlake.tx.us
Mon May 22 14:00:07 EDT 2006

> We offer access to Overdrive's audiobook collection and are looking
> into the video and music portions of it.  If anyone has started to
> implement this, could you send me your feedback and observations
> off-list?

We have been looking at this, too, particularly the movie portion (we
already have downloadable audiobooks from NetLibrary).  The part that we
are struggling with is the way that you license the materials.  Unlike
NetLibrary, you don't pay a subscription fee to have access to all
content - you have to put together your own list of audiobooks or movies
from their catalog and pay for each one of them.  The individual prices
on the movies are in excess of the price of buying a DVD, and the
individual audiobook prices are about the same as buying an audiobook on
CD.

Jesse Ephraim

Adult Services Librarian
Southlake Public Library
1400 Main Street, Suite 130
Southlake, TX  76092
(817) 748-8247
jephraim at ci.southlake.tx.us

"A circulating library in a town is as an evergreen tree of diabolical
knowledge."
     - Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751-1816)