[Web4lib] Online "ticketing" system

Michael McDonnell michael at winterstorm.ca
Thu May 11 10:48:42 EDT 2006

McHale, Nina wrote:
> Greetings, all,
>
> Can anyone recommend an online "ticketing" system for reporting and
> managing systems department work? We'd like library staff to be able to
> report all troubles that we in systems would have to fix--anything from
> printing and networking problems in reference to individual pc troubles
> to changes to be made to the web site. The first thing we'll probably
> try is LANdesk (which I know nothing about) because campus IT already
> uses it. Any experience with that or recommendations for others? Free
> would be great, but we do have some end-of-year $$$ to burn.

I have seen RT mentioned and a few others.  I don't think anyone has yet
mentioned Eventum (http://eventum.mysql.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page),
from the makers of MySQL.  Or SugarCRM (http://www.surgarcrm.com).  Both
are open source.

SugarCRM is not specifically a "ticketing" system, it is a complete
customer relationship management suite.  However, it contains a
bugtracking system and is better in a situation where you need not only
ticketing but a way to capture knowledge about who your clients are and
what relationship you have with them and what past issues they have had.

I don't use either SugarCRM or Eventum.  I have evaluated Eventum
before.  I currently use RT and highly recommend it.  Not only is it a
good product and highly customizable but there is a gook from O'Reilly
and Associates about it.

--
Michael McDonnell
michael at winterstorm.ca