[Web4lib] seeking kid's browser

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Wed May 10 11:38:03 EDT 2006

Hi, John,

There are other KidSafe broswers. Here is a review from cNet about these.

<http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11344_7-6424378-9.html>

They mention KidRocket KidSafe <http://www.kidrocket.org/> and Noah's Web.
Of the three, KidRocket seems to be the only one still around. There is
also something called Hekko Kid-Safe browser, but I don't know much about
it. Another one is here (but heavily Christian in tone):

<http://www.thekidsinternet.com/>

And another ...
<http://www.brothersoft.com/internet/online_form_tools/ppbrowser_16478.html>

I have recently started looking for something like this. I firmly believe
in lack of censorship, and having the child learn by working closely with
the parent and/or teacher. Where this breaks down is with the pre-teen
child (no longer in daycare) who is required to use the Internet for their
homework and is doing homework unsupervised while the parent is still at
work. I'll be interested in hearing if anyone has tried any of these, and
what they liked.

  -- Patricia Anderson, pfa at umich.edu