[Web4lib] mass digitization symposium

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Mar 21 15:59:54 EST 2006

Eric,

Thanks for the great write-up of the symposium.

This statement from your write-up gives me an idea of how we
should/could distinguish libraries from products like Google/Yahoo/MSN,
etc.:

 " Finally, he advocated libraries figure out how to harness the
"collective intelligence" of users to enhance the use of books and to
generate new knowledge. He pointed to Google's PageRank, Ebay,
Amazon.com, and Craig's List as websites exploring and using collective
intelligence. "

Collective intelligence and user-driven value-added stuff is great, but
it's only great the way the so-called "free market" is great -- it works
really well for the people for whom it works, and everyone else is SOL.
OK, that's a harsh way to put it, but Google's measure of success is
popularity; a library's measure of success is how well it serves its
community, even those people who might not be able to contribute greatly
to the collective intelligence. I worry about the kind of
competitiveness that I see in that intellectual community (ever try to
get your thread read on Slashdot?). The real challenge, I think, is how
you can bring along the folks who aren't going to be blogging and
posting and social-bookmarking, and find a way for them to benefit from
the work of others. I'm not sure how we do this, but it has something to
do with providing user education as well as reference-type services that
function in this new environment. It means creating new services, not
just getting people online. I worry about the gap between the digerati
and the other people served by libraries. Even academic libraries have a
rather large population that will not find its way easily into the info
space, especially if it is dominated by the best and the brightest. I
guess it all comes down to service.

kc

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net