[Web4lib] Share Your Knowledge of SFX and Metalib

Mark Dehmlow mdehmlow at nd.edu
Thu Mar 2 15:57:13 EST 2006

The Planning Group for SFX and MetaLib Programming for the 1st Annual ELUNA
(Ex Libris Users North America) meeting (http://www.lib.utk.edu/eluna2006/)
is extending the deadline for proposals to Wednesday, March 8.  Many thanks
to those of you who have submitted proposals.  For those who haven't, please
consider this wonderful opportunity to share your knowledge and expertise,
your questions and answers, with other SFX and MetaLib users.  A copy of the
call for proposals can be found at http://www.elu-na.org/el2006mlpapers.asp.

The ELUNA 2006 Planning Group for SFX and Metalib invites presentation and
poster session proposals for the first annual ELUNA Meeting. The meeting
will be hosted by the University of Tennessee at the Knoxville Convention
Center, beginning on the evening of Sunday, June 4th and ending at midday on
Wednesday, June 7th.

Breakout Sessions:

Breakout sessions will be either 60 or 90 minutes in length; we would ask
that your proposal indicate which time slot you would prefer, making sure to
include time for questions and discussion with the audience. We will also be
accepting proposals for 15 minute panel participation, highlighting one or
two innovative uses of SFX or MetaLib at your library.

Poster Sessions:

We will also consider proposals for poster sessions which will be displayed
throughout the meeting with specific times allocated for discussion with the
presenters.

Topics:

User presentations offer a great opportunity to exchange ideas with your
colleagues. They could address any topic of interest to the SFX / MetaLib
user communities including:

· SFX and/or MetaLib
-- Integration of SFX and MetaLib into the information literacy program,
tutorials, user education, etc.
-- Statistics and reports
-- Usability testing, methods and results

· SFX
-- A-Z list
-- Menu design
-- Uses other than full-text linking
-- MARCit service
-- Using the API
-- Integration with the library catalog

· MetaLib
-- Planning for implementation / personnel issues
-- Realities and pitfalls of metasearching / Quick Search vs. Metasearch
-- Resource discovery / use of subject categories sub-categories
-- Integration with course management systems, campus portals
-- Use of the X-server
-- Use of the MetaIndex functionality
-- Personalization / the e-shelf

How to Submit a Proposal:

Proposals should include the following:
1. Name, institutional affiliation, position title, and contact information
of presenter(s).
2. Descriptive title of presentation.
3. Abstract and/or brief outline of presentation. Note: If your proposal is
accepted, we will contact you for a brief abstract (50 words or less) to be
included in program.
4. Format of session (60 or 90 minute presentation, 15 minute panel
participation, poster session).
5. Intended audience and level of expertise.
6. Current version of SFX and/or MetaLib.
7. Name of ILS and version.
8. Technical requirements. Please be sure to specify all A/V equipment,
hardware, and software you will need.

We hope that you will be willing to share your SFX and MetaLib experiences
with other users. Please email your proposal to Maribeth Manoff, University
of Tennessee, mmanoff at utk.edu, no later than Wednesday, March 8, 2006.
Thank you very much for your consideration.

--
Mark Dehmlow
Electronic Services Librarian

      Electronic Resources and Serials
		 Access Department

211 Hesburgh Library       |  mdehmlow at nd.edu
University of Notre Dame   |  voice: (574) 631-3092
Notre Dame, IN 46556       |  fax:   (574) 631-8887