[Web4lib] library website redesign schedules

JOHN MARQUETTE JOHNMA at ci.commerce.ca.us
Wed Jun 21 14:58:36 EDT 2006

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 14:00:11 -0500
From: "Amy Ostrom" <amostrom at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Web4lib] library website redesign schedules
To: "Cox, Thomas" <Thomas.Cox at tufts.edu>
Cc: web4lib at webjunction.org

Dear Thom:

<snip>

>But as a quick summary, for a redesign I do an evaluation of what
people are
>saying about the current design to get an idea what needs serious
>consideration.  I also keep in mind all the accessibility and standards
when

Amy and other readers:

I'm looking for more basic advice:  how to wrest control our web page
(singular) from our city's web designer/publisher.  As it stands now, it
is attractive and consistent with every other page for every other
department in the city.  From an information access perspective, it
doesn't work very well.  We also can't make on-the-fly changes to it or
to files we've uploaded.

I don't mind continuing the city's theme on the web page; I just don't
want the theme and design to take up one-third of the usable area of the
1024x768 screen space.  We've made a (small) start by buying a domain
name and doing a redirect to the (correct) city-designed site with the
thought that sometime in the future we'd have more local control.

How have people successfully negotiated with their IT people to gain
control of their web sites?  I'm certain there are techniques we can
uses and phrases we can employ which will give us what we want without
disrupting IT's operations or seeming to deviate too far from the
current graphic standards.

John Marquette
http://www.cocpl.org