[Web4lib] Spam-resistant forms service

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Jun 20 09:20:12 EDT 2006

On 6/20/2006 8:57 AM, Thomas Bennett wrote:

> Prerequisites?
>  To use this technology, your web pages have to be generated dynamically by
> any programming language like PHP, JSP, Python, ASP, Perl. To encode the
> password the Message Digest Algorithm MD5 is required. It is part of most of
> the named languages or can easily be installed.

Of course, another prerequisite is a user with "normal" vision (for some
definition of normal).  Last time I checked, audio CAPTCHAs weren't
really ready for prime time, and the CAPTCHA sites I've seen basically
tell blind users to forego the form and send them e-mail.

I've often wondered why there aren't cognitive CAPTCHAs like "Select the
option that doesn't belong: beagle, collie, dachshund, eggplant" or "How
many fingers do most people have?"

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu