[Web4lib] Spam-resistant forms service

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Tue Jun 20 08:57:15 EDT 2006

I don't use this myself but I've seen several sites where captcha service is
used, basic service is free.  Simply put, you have to type in text that is
distorted in a graphic.

From http://captchas.net/ :

Why http://captchas.net?
 This server provides CAPTCHA images you can use in your web page. CAPTCHA
images can prevent html-forms or web pages to be used by robots.
How does it work?
 A CAPTCHA image shows a random string which the user has to type to submit a
form. This is a simple problem for (seeing) humans, but a very hard problem
for computers which have to use character recognition, especially, because
the displayed string is alienated in a way, which makes it very hard for a
computer to decode. For more information see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha.
Prerequisites?
 To use this technology, your web pages have to be generated dynamically by
any programming language like PHP, JSP, Python, ASP, Perl. To encode the
password the Message Digest Algorithm MD5 is required. It is part of most of
the named languages or can easily be installed.

Thomas