[Web4lib] Open Source Federated Searching Software - whatwe would need.

Danielle Plumer dplumer at tsl.state.tx.us
Fri Jun 16 10:42:58 EDT 2006

David,

My colleague Kevin Marsh is in charge of developing the Library of Texas federated search tool at www.libraryoftexas.org. It uses an older version of Index Data's Keystone Retriever, which Index Data customized for us, and can search both library catalogs and subscription resources. You can contact Kevin at kmarsh at tsl.state.tx.us

We're developing another federated search tool to search across digital repositories, this time using the newer version of Keystone. One of the repositories we're targeting, the Portal to Texas History at UNT (http://texashistory.unt.edu/), is an extensively customized implementation of Keystone. They did the modifications at UNT, which is one of the joys of Open Source! You could ask Mark Phillips at UNT for more details on their implementation: mphillips at library.unt.edu.

We've found Index Data to be very good at supporting open standards. I don't know that I'd consider Keystone as an alternative to DSpace for a true institutional repository, but it's probably on a par with Greenstone and streeprints.org as a digital library option.

Danielle Cunniff Plumer, Coordinator
Texas Heritage Digitization Initiative
Texas State Library and Archives Commission
512.463.5852 (phone) / 512.936.2306 (fax)
dplumer at tsl.state.tx.us