[Web4lib] Open Source Federated Searching Software - what we would need.

David Kane DKANE at wit.ie
Fri Jun 16 05:41:44 EDT 2006

Hi All,

As it happens we are already getting a plug-in for our catalogue that
does this.  Nevertheless, I am very supportive of and interested in any
open source solutions.

I particularly liked the DB Whiz (http://dbwiz.lib.sfu.ca/ ) approach.
I know the HTML doesn't look the best, but this can always be
customized.  With DB Whiz you can add your own databases, and presumably
customize the software in whatever way you like.  The LibraryFind
(http://dllab.library.oregonstate.edu/content/section/4/28/ )
solution is also good, but found it harder to get technical information
on this one.  Index Data's 'Keystone DLS'
(http://www.indexdata.com/keystone/ ) interests me because it also
claims to be some kind of digital repository.  I like that because we
are considering setting up a digital repository for our institution and
are currently looking into the issues around this.

I wonder does Keystone support the same open standards as do the main
repository packages, d-Spaces and e-Prints (both open source)?  Could
Keystone be used instead of either of these two, providing a meta search
facility and an information portal to boot?

Finally, I have a general question regarding all 3 of these meta search
tools.  Will they search our subscription databases (like science
direct, emerald etc...) because these, in themselves, do have quite
complex search capabilities and they can also require Athens
authentication, or are validated by IP address.  This is important for
us, as we run some distance learning courses from our Institute.

Kind Regards,

David Kane
WIT Libraries
http://library.wit.ie/