[Web4lib] Open Source Federated Searching Software

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Thu Jun 15 13:26:54 EDT 2006

it's not exactly what you're asking for, but increasingly one way to set up
effective federated searches is to use the federated searching available
from your database vendors.  CSA, for example, offers some pre-federated
searches and also allows you to build your own. We're using several and have
found them very effective, and are now putting together some of the Ebsco
databases.

For those of you using a metasearch engine, have you found that it's helpful
to federate federated searches?  That is, is it more effective to point your
metasearch engine at a CSA federated search and an Ebsco federated search
than at 4 individual CSA databases and 3 individual Ebsco databases?  More
effective with some vendors than with others?

- Jim Campbell

Digital Access Coordinator and Librarian for German
E-Mail: Campbell at Virginia.Edu | Voice: 434-924-4985

Digital Access Services, University of Virginia Library
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/digital/das/