[Web4lib] Calendar App

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Thu Jun 15 09:48:04 EDT 2006

We are currently, or at least have been, booking rooms with our III OPAC and
manually entering the dates on a WEB calendar, Corp Calendar on Zope. See
http://www.library.appstate.edu/calendar/ for our page that has links to each
calendar.  It does not have ical or vcal built in but it wouldn't take much
to add it in because it is written in Python and is runningn on Zope.

Although, there are products at http://www.schooltool.org that I especially
like and have only tested earlier versions.  They are constantly developing
this tool and it has come very far.

From their site:
SchoolTool Calendar is our calendar and resource management tool for schools.

SchoolBell is a calendar management system for small organizations.

SchoolTool 2006 is an open source student information system, projected for
availability the 2006-2007 school year.

We have been looking for a calendar to use campus wide and there is a
comparison at http://www.webmaster.appstate.edu/calendar/ .
Calendars we are looking at include SunONE, Calcium, Exchange, Groupwise,
Meeting Maker, School(tool,bell,tool calendar), WebCalendar, Web Event,
Zimbra, ActiveX, and UW Calendar.  Our preferred criteria includes RSS/XML,
WEB based access, Client based access, scheduling, synching, import/export,
permissions granularity, filters or search, subscriptions or includes or
layering, API/SDK customization, LDAP authentication, and ADA validation.
What we mainly wanted was a calendar that displayed well on the web, is
shareable, and customizable.

Thomas