[Web4lib] Beyond Google

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Tue Jun 13 17:33:01 EDT 2006

Wittenberg, Kate. Beyond Google: What Next for Publishing? Chronicle of
Higher Education, Volume 52, Issue 41, Page B20. June 16, 2006.

"While we have been busy attending conferences, workshops, and seminars
on every possible aspect of scholarly communication, information
technology, digital libraries, and e-publishing, students have been
quietly revolutionizing the discovery and use of information. Their
behavior, undertaken without consultation or attendance at formal
academic events, urgently forces those of us in scholarly publishing to
confront some fundamental questions about our organizations, jobs, and
assumptions about our work."

Mentions libraries several times.

Available online (subscription required):
http://chronicle.com/weekly/v52/i41/41b02001.htm

Freely available summary:
http://chronicle.com/wiredcampus/index.php?id=1331

Bernie Sloan
Senior Information Systems Consultant
Consortium of Academic & Research Libraries in Illinois
616 E. Green Street, Suite 213
Champaign, IL  61820-5752

Phone: (217) 333-4895
Fax:   (217) 265-0454