[Web4lib] MS Windows Live Book Search

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Tue Jun 13 14:18:22 EDT 2006

Granted the general issue of MS's me tooism, but remember that it's really
Amazon that got all this started with Search inside the book. Google jumped
in and had the useful idea of adding older free content as a lure to get
people to go to their under-copyright content. To my eye and experience they
also added a poorer and less reliable interface and database and still
haven't grasped the concept of multi-volume works, but then it is of course
still in beta.

And, though it pains me a bit to say this, all these projects are in some
sense riding on the coattails of Project Gutenberg. Which in turn probably
owes something to book series like Everyman's Library and so on back into
the ages.  Of coattails there is no end.

- Jim Campbell
Campbell at Virginia.edu