[Web4lib] Wikipedia Founder Discourages Academic Use ofHisCreation

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 11:35:15 EDT 2006

I think the point is a bit more subtle: the disclaimer associates Wikipedia
with "tertiary" sources and therefore puts itself in the same category as
encyclopedias in general, and in particular, Encyclopedia Britannica,
subject of the recent and flawed comparison in the journal Nature.

It's a clever PR stunt: "We aspire to distill the wisdom of the hive -- but
the hive may be wrong."  It inoculates Wikipedia against reports of
inaccuracy.

Imagine if the Britannica had a disclaimer that said "This is a tertiary
source and we often may get things wrong."

/rich