[Web4lib] MS Windows Live Book Search

Michael McCulley drweb at san.rr.com
Tue Jun 13 00:00:11 EDT 2006

Just a note on the post, and Dave's fine points..

I will opt for the competition in this marketspace/experiment.. even with
limitations, the OCA and Microsoft's participation in it is something I
think the profession should encourage. Help them, make it better, make
suggestions..

There are no absolute paths to the bookosphere (tm), only various paths or
parts of a whole..

I try and think of the libraries and users and staff that will benefit from
more books online, searchable, available for - sometimes reading,
downloading, browsing, fact-finding, verification of bibliographic data,
analysis, discovery, serendipity, and so on...

I would think we need to welcome all players to the field for this one..
it's a, gulp, big endeavor.. needs accessibility work, interfaces (maybe
more than one, but maybe that's a plus; think differences between search
engine power), archives, repositories, cross-sector relationships and
agreements, rights and permissions, and so on.

>From me, Welcome Microsoft.. Google.. Yahoo! ..UC and University of
Toronto.. the game's afoot! And it feels exciting...

Best,
DrWeb

--
P. Michael McCulley aka DrWeb
mailto:drweb at san.rr.com
San Diego, CA
http://drweb.typepad.com/

Quote of the Moment:
 I don't necessarily agree with everything I say. (Marshall McLuhan)
Monday, June 12, 2006 8:46:30 PM