[Web4lib] Big Flash Drives (snooping)

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Jun 12 16:36:23 EDT 2006

Saturday, June 10, 2006, 10:13:02 AM, you wrote:

KGS> I can see where that approach comes from, but the device may hold
KGS> information the user wants you to read. It's possible to scan file names
KGS> without causing disrespect to the user.

Well, maybe.  Mine has had some revealing directory and/or file names
on it at times. But definitely no kiddie porn.

KGS> They may not remember where they
KGS> left the device, and they may have left information they want you to read.
KGS> Certainly I've done that with cell phones in libraries, and the user is
KGS> always happy.

I see cell phones as a bit different, though imagine someone could
have some revealing numbers there, too.

I've known some people who've put the first entry in their phone as
something like '  phone owner' or '  call if lost' (with spaces so
it is at at top of list).  Could of course follow same routine with a
flash drive.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA