[Web4lib] Big Flash Drives (snooping)

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sat Jun 10 12:13:02 EDT 2006

> hence, rather than read through a lost private journal
> in order to find its owner, as a trained archivist i
> know it'd be simpler and more respectful to give the
> author/owner a reasonable amount of time to come and
> get and it on their own.
>
> this holds true for any medium of information storage,
> including flash drives.

I can see where that approach comes from, but the device may hold
information the user wants you to read. It's possible to scan file names
without causing disrespect to the user. They may not remember where they
left the device, and they may have left information they want you to read.
Certainly I've done that with cell phones in libraries, and the user is
always happy.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com