[Web4lib] Microform scanners

Malakia Oglesby moglesby at asburyparklibrary.org
Fri Jun 9 13:36:56 EDT 2006

Hello all,

(A little late replying - had a few (very much needed) days off.)

We recently purchased a Canon MS 800 Microfilm Scanner that appears to do
what you're asking.  It allows scanning of film/fiche and then you can
either print, e-mail, or save the image.  If produces both TIFF and JPEG
file formats and you can set the scanning resolution you want to use.  It
has a lot of features that allow you to correct the scanned image
(lighten/darken/dither/rotate/crop/etc.) before you "accept" the scanned
image.  Naturally, it works with a PC, and there are video tutorials that
users can select to walk them through different features.

We got it a few months ago and it's working great for us.  Both staff and
library patrons have access to it.

Hope this helps,
Malakia Oglesby
Tech-MIS