[Web4lib] Streaming MP3s

Will Owen owen at email.unc.edu
Fri Jun 9 08:22:54 EDT 2006

We're considering a project to put about 75 hours of music files up as a
kind of "internet radio station."  The music comes from a local collection
of public domain recordings.  The collection manager would like to have a
continuous stream playing in a loop--you click on a link from our website
and can listen as long as you like.  His preference would be to have the
music encoded as MP3.

I'd appreciate any recommendations/caveats for staging this
service--streaming audio servers, hardware and bandwidth requirements, etc.
This is a new area for us, and I'm pretty ignorant about best practices and
choices.  One concern is that the stream doesn't get pirated and repackaged
without some sort of identification, so the possibility of inserting a
periodic "station identification" is on the table as well.

Thanks,

Will Owen
Head, Library Systems