[Web4lib] USB Hard Drives - second try

Don Hamilton dhamilton at wlu.ca
Thu Jun 8 15:36:30 EDT 2006

And if you really need disk capacity:

"According to researchers from the University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University and Harvard University, barium titanium oxide nanowires suspended in water could hold 12.8 million GB per square centimeter."

Full article at:

http://www.itworldcanada.com/Pages/Docbase/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=idgml-095f0593-ae6a-42e5-9504-dcafa025fc73&ql=060907

don (there's never enough storage) hamilton

>>> Thomas Bennett <bennetttm at appstate.edu> 6/8/2006 3:11 PM >>>

Actually my LaCie "mobile drive" is an 80GB drive about the size of a
PalmPilot and will fit in a shirt pocket.  There are more out there and
probably with much more capacity.

New drives from Seagate, "The launch follows Seagate's $1.9 billion
acquisition of Maxtor.":

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5834979.html?tag=nl

"The MK4007GAL 1.8-inch drive packs 40GB on a single platter, which is the
most for a 1.8-inch diameter hard drive platter to date. The platters can
hold 206 megabits per square millimeter. The drive can be found in Toshiba's
Gigabeat F41 music player. Toshiba also makes drives for Apple Computer's
iPods.
Two configurations of the drive exist: a 40GB with one platter and a
two-platter 80GB drive. Next year, the Japanese giant will insert
perpendicular drives into its mini 0.85-inch diameter drives."

Thomas

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 13:05, Drew, Bill wrote:
> Just think of it as a USB drive too big to fit in your pocket.  It is
> just a different technology from the flash drives.  There should be no
> reason to treat it differently.  My new USB flash drive has 2 Gigabytes
> of storage, much more than most older external hard drives.
>
> Wilfred (Bill) Drew
> E-mail: mailto:drewwe at morrisville.edu
> AOL Instant Messenger:BillDrew4
> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett        Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            P O Box 32026
University Library                Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

An important measure of effort in coding is the frequency with which you write
something that doesn't actually match your mental representation of the
problem, and have to backtrack on realizing that what you just typed won't
actually tell the language to do what you're thinking. -Eric Raymond

Library Systems Help Desk: http://linux.library.appstate.edu/help