[Web4lib] Microform scanners

Elizabeth mckenty library.lisle at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 13:52:50 EDT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elizabeth mckenty <library.lisle at gmail.com>
Date: Jun 7, 2006 10:52 AM
Subject: Re: [Web4lib] Microform scanners
To: Dan Lester <dan at riverofdata.com>

I researched this a bit a year ago. I followed up on claims by salespeople
that there were public-access scanners at several libraries. I could not
find a library to attest to that usage. Someone in the Pacific Northwest
(sorr, I've changed jobs and no longer have access to my files) told me they
had tried self-service, but tht it ended up meaning a staff member
interceding every step of the way, i.e., not at all self-service. They
finally gave up even a pretense. I was told by a salesperson that the
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh had self service, but a staff member there
told me most emphatically that they would never allow they public to touch
their scanner as it is "very finicky" and required a lot of training. Same
salesperson claimed SIBL at NYPL was launching 40 self-serve scanners, but I
never found hide nor hair (lens nor cable?) of them. Maybe someone there can
now confirm/deny?

In any case, I decided tht self-serve microform scanners were mythical as of
summer 2005. If any one else has sighted, please speak up!

On 6/7/06, Dan Lester <dan at riverofdata.com> wrote:

> I've been charged with investigating the possible acquisition of "User
> Friendly Microform Scanners". The device would allow a patron or staff
> member to insert a roll of film, or fiche (and ideally even a
> microprint item) and easily make an image file from it.  The images
> could then be used by the patron or posted on the web or used for ILL.
> We have needs for all three types of usage.  Staff would use it for
> ILL of microform articles, and other staff would use it to put
> appropriate microform documents (old records, mss, etc) on the website
> for public information.  Users would be able to scan the image(s) to
> their flashdrive and then print it from the public printers, use it in
> a research project, etc.
>
> I've seen several that don't appear to be "user friendly", and we have
> one already that definitely isn't.  We're more interested in a device
> with appropriate software included so that it can be attached to an
> existing PC.  I've also seen some that are standalone work stations,
> but their prices seem outrageous.
>
> Any comments or suggestions appreciated, either publicly or by
> personal email.
>
> thanks
>
> dan
>
> --
> Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
> 3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115  USA
> www.riverofdata.com    The Road Goes On Forever....

Lisle (rhymes with weasel) McKenty
"...me figuraba el Paraíso bajo la especie de una biblioteca" --Jorge Borges