[Web4lib] next generation opac mailing list

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Tue Jun 6 13:34:03 EDT 2006

I think I may be quoting you from a previous email to this list, but I
remember seeing this before:

NouveauPac

Thomas

On Monday 05 June 2006 16:11, Eric Lease Morgan wrote:
> What do you think about the idea of the creation of mailing list such
> as "next generation" OPAC -- ngo4lib?
> The list's purpose would be to discuss things including but not
> limited to:
>
>    * Who are the primary intended audiences for a library's
>      "card catalog"?
>    * Considering the changing nature of information access in an
>      Internet environment, how is an electronic "card catalog" of
>      today different from the one designed ten or fifteen years ago?
>    * What kind of content should these "card catalogs" contain?
>    * To what degree should traditional cataloging practices be
>      used in such a thing, or to what degree should new and upcoming
>      practices such as FRBR be exploited?
>    * How would such a thing get created and by whom?
>    * What are some of the functionalities of "next generation"
>      OPAC?

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III			P O Box 32026
University Library				Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

An important measure of effort in coding is the frequency with which you write
something that doesn't actually match your mental representation of the
problem, and have to backtrack on realizing that what you just typed won't
actually tell the language to do what you're thinking. -Eric Raymond

Library Systems Help Desk: http://linux.library.appstate.edu/help