[Web4lib] ACRL President's Program in New Orleans

Louise S. Sherby lsherby at hunter.cuny.edu
Thu Jun 1 11:24:17 EDT 2006

Come hear a great debate on the tenets of Information Literacy at the
ACRL President's Program in New Orleans!

When:   Monday, June 26, 2006, 1:30-5:30pm (ACRL reception follows program)

Location:       New Orleans Marriott, Carondelet Room

Title:          The Emperor Has No Clothes: Be It Resolved That
Information Literacy is
                 a Fad and Waste of Librarian Time and Talent.

Moderated by James Neal, Vice President for Information Services and
University Librarian, Columbia University, two teams composed of
Stanley Wilder, Associate Dean in the Library, University of
Rochester, Jeff Rutenbeck, Associate Professor and Director Digital
Media Studies, University of Denver, Julie B. Todaro, Dean, Library
Services, Austin Community College, and Gary P. Radford, Professor of
Communication Studies, Fairleigh Dickinson University, will debate
the relevance of information literacy as we know it. Is information
literacy a concept created by academic librarians to make themselves
more relevant to the curriculum or is it one of our most important
roles? Is information literacy critical thinking in disguise or is
there a real body of knowledge to be communicated? Does civil
society's dependence on life-long learners require the acquisition of
information literacy skills? Can libraries justify the expenditures
they've made on teaching information literacy or do the data suggest
otherwise? This debate
will test our assumptions and beliefs about a core element of the
academic librarians' role in the educational process.

See you there!