[Web4lib] blue sky thinking

Jonathan Gorman jtgorman at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 27 14:47:26 EDT 2006

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, K.G. Schneider wrote:

>>> 4) Now I installed the app I wanted to run, although it then needed
>>> some changes to things like Apache, etc., to work properly. I spent
>>> another day or so doing all of this. In the end, I actually was
>>> able to start my app. But at that point I had run out of steam, and
>>> the machine has been turned off since then. Maybe I'll spend my
>>> summer actually getting the app up and running as a functioning
>>> system. Then again, maybe not.
>>
>> Unfortunately here also you are right. System Administration tends to
>> be a full time job. It is tedious, fascinating, challenging and
>> boring all at the same time. I feel like we have veered sufficiently
>> OT though. :-)
>

> ... That's not off-topic; that IS the topic. We have been discussing the
> pros and cons of maintaining in-house servers. That it is a "full time job"
> is a flag. At some point economies of scale kick in and it's worthwhile to
> maintain a local server (and for some services, and not for others). But
> even then, the operating system and software have to be appropriately scaled
> and supportable in-house, however that support system is defined.

This is part of the reason I'm curious to hear from Karen C if she uses a
closed-source system that the system she describes was intended to
replace.  If there are closed-source system that do not also need a "tech
guru" around I honestly would like to know more.  I know of various closed
source products that have matured greatly in the past few years (Microsoft
server products in particular, services underlying things like AD as
well).

But if they both end up requiring dedicated personal then it doesn't make
sense to distinguish between open and close when considering outsourcing.
More important is that what the group you outsource use a system that is
transferable to other hosting if need be.

Like I said, I'm somewhat emotionally involved so I might be reacting too
strongly.  I'm trying to be open-minded as well ;).  I just worry
sometimes that people complain about how difficult open-source is might
bias some against using open source when it fits the need.  I also worry
that those who "evangelize" too much might risk alienation down the road.
Many pieces of software I use aren't ready for mainstream uses.

Jon Gorman