[Web4lib] blue sky thinking

Keith D. Engwall kengwall at catawba.edu
Thu Jul 27 14:22:19 EDT 2006

Ok, I'm going to try very hard to stop posting on this point (I'm sure everyone is getting tired of me), but your experience very much relates to why I posted my response in the first place.

Your experience a year ago pretty much approximates my experience with Debian a month ago.  It took me about a week to get it installed, and another week to give up on trying to get all the packages I needed to play nice with each other.  I probably could have eventually figured it out, but I was completely demoralized.

And that's what made my jaw hit the floor with Ubuntu Server's LAMP install.  And I don't mean to sound like an advertisement for Ubuntu.  It's not a panacea, and it does still have a learning curve, but it is a very good example of what can happen when the focus of development is on how the product is used.

The LAMP install comes with Apache2, MySQL, PHP, Perl, etc. pre-installed.  Packages for software come out soon and often.  Package installation, and even system upgrades can often be performed with a single command, and does not even require a reboot.  The system is pre-hardened for security.

More significantly, there is a crazy amount of (often informal) online documentation for just about every step in the process that isn't clear.  For just about every moment of head scratching that I had (I never got to fist-pounding), there seemed to be a wiki entry or a blog post or some kind of step-by-step article covering it.  The community is responsive, vocal, and very inclined to help.

I was absolutely stunned at how quickly I was able to get the server up and running and production-ready, and I'm excited about this use-oriented direction that open-source technology is taking, the headway that is being made, and the size and strength of the community.  There are other examples (Wordpress, for instance).  It's an opportunity to approach technology and gain experience with it without having to be an expert first.

Should you jump into something like this for a production server with no prior experience?  Probably not.  The more I think about it, and the more responses I read, the more I am drawn to the idea of using a hosting service.  But I still think that there is a benefit from having an inexpensive in-house server, at least for development.  It provides a very good environment for trying out products, technologies, etc., and getting comfortable.  And that last bit is the most important part.  The more comfortable we are, the easier it is for us to learn, and perhaps to innovate!

Keith