[Web4lib] blue sky thinking

Roy Tennant Roy.Tennant at ucop.edu
Thu Jul 27 13:38:41 EDT 2006

Karen,
There are ways to do things and then there are ways to do things. For
example, steps 1-3 could have been accomplished simply by buying a Mac.
Macintosh computers come not only with Unix installed, but with a pile of
basic applications such as Apache, MySQL, etc. Then, many other Unix
applications come in simple packages you can download and install as you
would a shrink-wrapped software application. And now that Macs can run
Windows, I can't imagine why anyone would buy anything else.

I know that isn't your particular situation, and I feel your installation
pain. I certainly have been in my own "dependency hell" before, where you
want to install something but first you have to install ten other things
upon which it depends. I also had a situation one time where the particular
version of something caused another application to fail completely upon
installation. It took months of chipping away at as I had time before I
solved it. The error messages are often completely cryptic and don't always
point to the root cause.
Roy