[Web4lib] Various site issues

Jonathan Gorman jtgorman at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 26 16:42:57 EDT 2006

> Thank you for taking a look!  Unfortunately the invalidities I am not sure
> can be remedied.  We have a small Flash item (eep!) that has a <noscript>
> alternative for users without JavaScript which contains an unbelievable
> amount of nasty code.  I am sure a healthier solution to writing that Flash
> media code exists though (I believe using an <object> element), I will look
> into it.

Why bother at all with the animation?  It takes a person longer to figure
out what page they're on.  Or perhaps if all you're doing is just that
animation, why not an animated gif.  That way people like me who have
animated gifs disabled can ignore it, and those people who for some reason
want it on will see the pretty animation.

> The other invalidities deal with hyperlinks into CONTENTdm that require
> ampersands.  Does anyone know if it is possible to write a database
> hyperlink that requires ampersands that does not render a Web page invalid?

&amp;, just like you would put anywhere else in the web page.

Jon Gorman