[Web4lib] Various site issues

Tyson Tate tysontate at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 15:53:02 EDT 2006

I'll try to tackle a few. But first, you *really* need to validate your html:

<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jocohistory.net%2F>

Invalid HTML can cause a dizzy array of problems, so fix that first.
Your CSS looks valid, though, so good job there.

On 7/26/06, Amy Ostrom <amostrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> Known problems:
>   *extra code is necessary to keep navigation and content sitting side by
> side in gecko and Microsoft browsers

I don't have a huge amount of time to see exactly what sort of code
you're using to do the left and right alignment, but I'd suggest just
floating the nav left and the content div right and then putting a
clearing element after both of them.
>   *links in <ul> horizontal (list-style: none) for global navigation stay
> vertical in Mac IE (oddly we still get a lot of Mac IE hits)

Steal one from Listamatic which mentiones IE5 Mac compatibility:

http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/

>   *printing in IE does not place the URL after the hyperlink like happy
> Firefox does

IE6 *and* 7 don't support the :after pseudo element. You'll have to
use another technique to do it.

>   *widescreens seem to throw off a lot of the elements (do not have
> widescreens to test this)

I did a cursory search and didn't find anything too horrifying. Just
make sure your footer has a max-width like the rest of the content.

>   *front page content needs to create less whitespace between navigation and
> self (gets unruly on large monitors)

Give your wrapper div or the body element a nice max-width. For IE,
though, you'll have to use a hack. Google around for "IE max-width".

>   *(CONTENTdm is not fully CSS - has any done this, especially the advanced
> search? Is it possible and if so, anyone willing to share technique?)

Huh?

Sorry I couldn't be a huge help, but I hope this give you a starting point.

And validate that HTML! ;)

-Tyson